9th May - 16th May 2020
Don’t miss out on your opportunity to not only visit a beautiful and unique location but to also make a lasting impact. The Fiji Vinaka Build will assist families in need to develop disaster resilient housing. Don’t just see the world, help build a better world! As well as forming new friendships and lasting memories, you’ll give one family the gift of a new home and a brighter future.
After the build is complete, why not rest and recover with a stay at one of Fiji’s many resorts? Treat yourself to some snorkelling, diving and fishing, or just relax by the beach. there is so much to see and do in Fiji – a Global Village is just the start.
Since Habitat for Humanity began working in Fiji in 1981, over 1,000 families on the island have been served. Habitat for Humanity Fiji not only builds much-needed homes, but also helps in disaster response and prevention, provides water and sanitation facilities to help improve health, and works on projects to enable people with disabilities.
The number of people in Fiji living in substandard housing is on the rise, and already stands at 140,000. Over the next 15 years, there is an expected need of more than 30,000 new homes. Poverty continues to be a problem in Fiji. While official statistics estimate that 31% of people live in poverty, the local social services council are under the impression that 60% would be a more accurate statistic.
As housing prices are too high for many, families have no choice but to live in accommodation without running water, sanitation facilities, rubbish disposal facilities or electricity. Habitat for Humanity Fiji allows families to take out loans that are minor and do not create a burden of debt upon the family, but allow them to obtain a home that they would alternatively have no method of acquiring. Families play a part in building their new homes for themselves to drive down costs, and their loan repayments are then used to build homes for other families in need.
Saturday 9th May 2020:
Meet your team in Nadi, Viti Levu and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 10th May 2020:
Discover the local sights with your team and meet the Habitat Fiji staff at a welcome to Fiji orientation session
Monday 11th May 2020:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 12th – Thursday 14th May 2020:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 15th May 2020:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to your partner family
Saturday 16th May 2020:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $750-$950 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 9th March 2020
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 9th April 2020
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Fiji
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.