Thrive build, Vietnam
8 December - 15 December 2018
Make a real difference by working alongside poor communities in Long An province helping build new disaster-resilient housing as well as upgrading deficient homes.
Long An province has a poverty rate of nearly 7% of the total population of approx. 1.458 million people. Of the population identified as living in poverty, 16,735 households live in substandard or inadequate housing, with very poor or non-existent access to water and sanitation. In spite of the province’s proximity to Ho Chi Minh City, its primary industries remain agriculture and aquaculture.
Habitat for Humanity Australia, along with our partners in Vietnam, is assisting the community with disaster resilience and health and hygiene. In the project’s first phase, in Long An, this project built 15 new disaster-resilient homes and repaired or upgraded 65 homes so they are prepared for disaster. In addition, 164 people were trained in how to construct safe and sturdy homes and 60 representatives from different households have been trained on evacuation plans in the case of disaster.
Phase 2 started in September 2013, working with another 200 families in Long An and Tien Giang to continue to improve houses, water and sanitation facilities and disaster preparedness. This new phase also involves livelihoods training for women in the community with the aim of increasing their income earning potential.
Saturday 8th December 2018:
Meet your team in Ho Chi Minh City and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 9th December 2018:
Travel to Long An and discover the local sights with your team
Monday 10th December 2018:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 11th – Thursday 13th December 2018:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 14th December 2018:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 15th December 2018:
Depart for home or further adventures – why not take this opportunity to explore more of the beauty of Vietnam?
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Fundraising Amount: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $200
- $180 Registration Fee for those under 18yrs or who have a current police check.
- Build Week Costs: $600-$800 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 9th September 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 18th November 2018
- For visa application volunteers must hold a passport with at least 6 months from the build start date (validity until June 2019)
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
09 September 2018
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Thrive build brochure here