4th April - 11th April 2020
Access to land ownership and secure tenure remains difficult in Cambodia, which impacts on vulnerable families improving their quality of life. Your team will be giving a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
Battambang is located in the far northwestern part of Cambodia and ranks as the fourth most populous province. The province’s fertile rice fields and agricultural economy led it to be known as “the Rice Bowl of Cambodia.” As you leave Battambang by road, the scene quickly becomes one of small villages, rice paddies, and farmland.
But access to land ownership and secure tenure remains difficult, which impacts on vulnerable families and marginalized communities improving their housing situation and quality of life. Together with Habitat For Humanity, Battambang Municipality has been proactive in attempting to resolve its informal settlements issues. The Scorpion Build aims to secure land tenure and build safe, sustainable housing for families living in squatter and informal settlements.
The impact of the homes will be far reaching and will give hope for generations. Healthy homes, with cement floors, improved ventilation, clean water and sanitation facilities have immediate health benefits. Families will also receive skills training and, with a home to call their own, will have a foundation to live a better quality life and earn a steady income.
Saturday 4th April:
Meet your team in Siem Reap and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 5th April:
Discover the local sights with your team and drive down to Battambang.
Monday 6th April:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 7th – Thursday 9th April:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 10th April:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 11th April:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other exciting destinations
- Minimum Fundraising Amount: $1,700
- This amount can be fundraised. (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $200
- Build Week Costs: $700-$900 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 4th Janaury 2020
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 4th February 2020
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Cambodia
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
04 January 2020
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Scorpion Build brochure here.