Schoolies Build, Cambodia
24 November - 1 December 2018
Celebrate finishing high school by exploring the world and helping change lives for the better by building a new home for a family in need in Cambodia.
The Schoolies build is your opportunity to see the world and help others at the same time. A Habitat build could be the very beginning of your Cambodian adventure!
This build is strictly limited to 17*-25 year olds.
*Please note, 17 year olds must be accompanied by a friend or guardian who is over 18 years old.
Inadequate housing is common place in Cambodia. Evictions and forcible confiscation of land are one of Cambodia’s most pervasive human rights problems. The lack of land in urban areas has resulted in an increase in urban slums, especially in Phnom Penh.
Those living with HIV/AIDS are doubly disadvantaged. In Cambodia, there is a significant stigma attached to people living with or affected by HIV/AIDS. Although the prevalence has decreased in Cambodia over recent years, there are still over 70,000 people known to be living with HIV/AIDS, with more than half of these being women, and over 6,000 children. Housing plays a catalytic role in turning these lives around.
Safe and decent housing provides security and stability, which is especially important for children. As part of our Building Homes, Building Positive Lives project in Phnom Penh we are working with vulnerable families and households living with or affected by HIV/AIDS to construct simple, affordable, disaster-resilient shelter and provide legal access to secure land. Our project also focuses on providing health, hygiene and livelihood training.
Saturday 24th November:
Meet your team in Phnom Penh and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 25th November:
Discover the local sights with your team
Monday 26th November:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 27th November – Thursday 29th November:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 30th November:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 1st December:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Fundraising Contribution: $1000*/$1700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $180 ($160 for volunteers who are under 18)
- Build Week Costs: $600-$800 twin share depending on accommodation, some meals and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 29th September 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 19th October 2018
*You must be a full time student.
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
29 September 2018
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Schoolies build brochure here