2nd May - 9th May 2020
Work alongside local families in the Bago District of Myanmar, helping them upgrade their current housing situation and giving communities peace of mind. Helping families upgrade their current housing gives them a hand up and this often enables them to be able to take the next step in life.
You will be helping families upgrade their currrent housing situation in the Bago District of Myanmar.
Habitat for Humanity was officially registered with the government of Myanmar in 2014. Our involvement in the country, however, began with the response to the devastating Cyclone Nargis in May 2008. Habitat worked with local partners in facilitating early recovery and restored access to food, water, shelter, income and healthcare. Habitat continues to work with donors and partners to build strength, stability and self-reliance through shelter. As of October 2016, more than 3,500 Habitat homeowners are able to build a better life for themselves and their families.
Global Village volunteers will work to build disaster-resilient houses and sanitary latrines in 15 villages in Thanatpin township, one of the poorest towns in the Bago region. The work also includes the rehabilitation of community ponds, the main water source for villagers.
Saturday 2nd May 2020:
Arrive at Yangon International Airport and be transported by our staff to your hotel in Bago. Then get to know each other over a welcome dinner.
Sunday 3rd May 2020:
Discover the local sights with your team on a fanstastic cultural activity and recieve an orientation to building with the team in Myanmar.
Monday 4th May:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 5th – Thursday 7th May 2020:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 8th May 2020:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 9th May 2020:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations.
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $600 – $800 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 02 March 2020
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 02 April 2020
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Myanmar
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
02 March 2020
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Ruby build brochure here