Pondy Build, India
7 September - 14 September 2019
It is estimated that more than 73 million families in India do not have access to decent shelter. Your team will provide a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
It is estimated that more than 73 million families in India do not have access to decent shelter. Habitat for Humanity works with low-income families to build new homes and incremental housing as well as to repair and rehabilitate houses.
There are hundreds of families that lack the capacity to build a safe and decent house on their own, often living in small huts that lack toilet facilities. An average sized family of five members with children or adolescent girls have to undergo difficulties such as protection for the children at night from snakes, rats, lizards, insects and spiders.
By 2019, Habitat India plans to reach out to 500,000 low-income families with improved housing solutions, safe sanitation and clean water as well as post-disaster reconstruction. Join the Pondy Build today and go on a journey to transform your life and the life of the family whose home you help build.
Saturday 7th September
Meet your team and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 8th September
Take in the local sights with your team. A cultural experience will be included as part of your trip.
Monday 9th September
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety briefing. After a safety briefing, get started on your first day of building!
Tuesday 10th – Thursday 12th September
Full days of building with your teammates and alongside your partner families.
Friday 13th September
Final day of building, handover ceremony and dedication of the new home to your partner family. Today is usually an emotional day – bring the tissues!
Saturday 14th September
Depart for home or further adventures. Many volunteers choose to celebrate their contribution by exploring more of India’s beauty and culture.
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need.
- Minimum Fundraising Contribution: $1,700
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $700- $900 per person, twin share. This amount will be confirmed closer to the build date.
- Registration deadline: 13th July 2019
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 17th August 2019
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity India
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
20 July 2019
Experience of a lifetime
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Pondy build brochure here.