Pacific Build 2020, Fiji
26th September - 3rd October 2020
Many people with disabilities would be able to live normal lives with dignity if a few simple changes were made to their living environment.
Join the Pacific Build 2020 and help build a fair chance to all Fijians to enjoy the security of a safe and decent shelter.
According to 2017 National Census, 14%, about 126,000, people are living with disabilities in Fiji. Confirmations from Fiji Disable Peoples Federation on the need to work in this area because of rise in the number of people reported with disabilities from low-income families further supports this proposal to reach out to this target group. Additionally with the recent hike of building material costs by 0.7% (Fiji Times 7/02/18) and shortage of professional and skilled worked in the construction industry and expensive rates of private contractors greatly disadvantages these individuals and their families who simply cannot afford to do these upgrades.
To meet the needs of people with disabilities, on the Pacific Build 2020 you will be upgrading homes to a standard that will improve the mobility and dignity of people with disabilities. This will include installation of ramps, handrails, accessible toilets, including the installation of grab bars to allow universal access for all people with disabilities. HFH Fiji acknowledges that in some cases the need maybe so great that a new home is the solution. These upgrades may extend to the improvement of some communal facilities as necessary such as door widening and footpaths with railings.
Many people with disabilities would be able to live normal lives with dignity if a few simple changes were made to their living environment. Join the Pacific Build 2020 and help build a fair chance to all Fijians to enjoy the security of a safe and decent shelter.
Saturday 26th September 2020:
Meet your team in Suva and get to know each other over a welcome dinner.
Sunday 27th September 2020:
Discover the local sights with your team and meet the Habitat Fiji staff at a welcome to Fiji orientation session
Monday 28th September 2020:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 29th September – Thursday 1st October 2020:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 2nd October 2020:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to your partner family
Saturday 3rd October 2020:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $750-$950 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 26th July 2020
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 3rd September 2020
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Fiji
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
26 July 2020
Ready to have the experience of a lifetime?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Pacific Build 2020 brochure here.