Nepal earthquake recovery (December), Nepal
1 December - 8 December 2018
Work alongside local families in the Kavre district at the foot of the Himalayas, rebuilding earthquake shattered homes and giving communities peace of mind. With support from volunteers like you, communities in Kavre can continue to rebuild and prepare themselves for the future.
The magnitude-7.8 earthquake that struck Nepal on the 25th of April 2015 caused serious damage and significant loss of life. Much of the country was affected, including the area of Kavre, where it is estimated that 20 000 people have been left homeless by the earthquake.
The Kavre district is just North of Kathmandu in Nepal’s central region. At the foothills of the Himalayas, this area is home to many of the country’s Buddhist stupas and Hindu temples. It also includes many small villages with families in need of better, disaster resilient housing. In Kavre community, people from different ethnic groups are dependent on agriculture. Most of the existing houses consist of just one storey and one room, where families with an average of 10 members tend to share their space with their livestock. The most immediate problem with these houses is the roof structures made of hay – a material that is leaky, temporary and very flammable. Many families attempt to better the condition of the roofs by repairing on their own, however their lack of financial resources is a significant hurdle.
This Global Village team will have the opportunity to assist with ongoing recovery efforts for communities affected by the devastating April 2015 earthquake, giving them security and peace of mind for the future.
Saturday 1st December 2018:
Meet your team in Kathmandu and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 2nd December 2018:
Discover the local sights with your team and then travel together to Kavre, where you will check in to your accommodation for the week ahead
Monday 3rd December 2018:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 4th – Thursday 6th December 2018:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 7th December 2018:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 8 December 2018:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations.
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $180 (registration fee is $160 for those under 18yrs (15 minimum))
- Build Week Costs: $1200-$1500 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 6th October 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 10th October 2018
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
06 October 2018
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Nepal Earthquake Recovery build brochure here