Namaste Build, Nepal
7 December - 14 December 2019
Work alongside local families in the East region of Nepal, helping them upgrade their current housing situation and giving communities peace of mind. Helping families upgrade their current housing gives them a hand up and this often enables them to be able to take the next step in life.
You will be helping families upgrade their currrent housing situation in the East region, in Jhapa, Morang, Sunsari, Saptari, Siraha.
This build will help increase community awareness regarding disaster resilient housing, as well as better sanitation and hygiene practices. In Nepal, 25.2% of the population live below the poverty line. Most of the people living in the East region live in poorly built thatched houses, which make them vulnerable to natural disasters.
Like many other places in the world, decent shelter is a symbol of social dignity in Nepal. The lack of decent shelter has been shown to be a barrier to other critically important things in life – such as education, health care and social mobility.
Helping families upgrade their current housing gives them a hand up and this often enables them to be able to take the next step in life. Volunteers will have the rewarding opportunity to work hand-in-hand with families that are actively engaged in rebuilding their own homes.
Saturday 7th December 2019:
Meet your team in Kathmandu and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 8th December 2019:
Discover the local sights with your team and then travel together to the East region, where you will check in to your accommodation for the week ahead
Monday 9th December 2019:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 10th – Thursday 12th December 2019:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 13th December 2019:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 14th December 2019:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations.
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $1,000 – $1,200 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 12th October 2019
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 16th November 2019
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
12 October 2019
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Namaste Build brochure here