Mighty Mekong Build, Vietnam
14 December - 21 December 2019
Make a real difference by working alongside poor communities in Tien Giang province helping build new disaster-resilient housing as well as upgrading deficient homes.
Tien Giang province, situated along the Mekong Delta’s coastline, faces the ocean and is vulnerable to both the risk of typhoon/storm from the ocean and Climate Change Impact, for which Mekong Delta has been listed as one of the most vulnerable areas. The province experiences severe weather events such as torrential rain or flooding, and many inadequate family homes need constant and costly repairs.
Habitat for Humanity Australia, along with our partners in Vietnam, is assisting the community with disaster resilience and health and hygiene. Material and financial resources are worked together by volunteers and partners to build new disaster-resilient homes or repair damaged shelters.
Our local partner’s capacity to manage housing projects is built up to ensure project sustainability. Local governments, schools, community members and families are trained in financial literacy, disaster resilient construction techniques and safe water, sanitation and hygiene practices.
Saturday 14th December 2019:
Meet your team in Ho Chi Minh City and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 15th December 2019:
Travel to Long An and discover the local sights with your team
Monday 16th December 2019:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 17th – Thursday 19th December 2019:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 20th December 2019:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 21st December 2019:
Depart for home or further adventures – why not take this opportunity to explore more of the beauty of Vietnam?
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Fundraising Amount: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $600-$850 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 21st September 2019
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 23rd November 2019
- For visa application volunteers must hold a passport with at least 6 months from the build start date (validity until July 2020)
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Vietnam
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
21 September 2019
Ready to sign up for the experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Mighty Mekong build brochure here