Kim Beach Build, Nepal
13 April - 20 April, 2019
“I am super excited to be leading this group with Habitat for Humanity to help provide
new homes for women in need in the Kavre area of Nepal – please join me and my
team and make a real difference!” Kim Beach
You will be assisting with ongoing efforts as part of the earthquake reconstruction project in Kavre, in the Kathmandu Valley.
The magnitude-7.8 earthquake that struck Nepal on Saturday April 25, 2015 caused considerable devastation and loss of life. It was followed by another magnitude-7.4 earthquake to the north east near Mount Everest on 12 May. According to the government of Nepal, more than 8,800 people were killed. The effect on housing
was devastating, with more than 800,000 homes destroyed and damaged.
Since the earthquakes, the recovery process in Nepal has moved from the emergency phase to recovery and now, reconstruction. Despite challenges caused by political upheaval, fuel shortages and difficulties navigating the mountainous terrain, Habitat for Humanity has been able to undertake disaster recovery efforts to help families rebuild their homes and lives.
In the three years since the 2015 earthquake 45,829 families have been supported with relief and shelter interventions ranging from shelter kits to permanent housing with access to water and sanitation facilities. This includes 692 new houses with another 373 under construction
Saturday 13th April 2019:
Meet your team in Kathmandu and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 14th April 2019:
Discover the local sights with your team and then travel to Kavre, where you will check in to your accommodation for the week ahead
Monday 15th April 2019:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat Nepal staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 16th – Thursday 18th April 2019:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 19th April 2019:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 20th April 2019:
Build week concludes
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700
All donations over $2 are tax deductible and will support Habitat for Humanity projects in Nepal
- Registration Fee: $200/180 ($180 Registration Fee for those under 18yrs or who have a current police check.)
- Build Week Costs: $1000-$1300 twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 10th January, 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 10th February, 2018
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Ready to sign up for an experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Kim Beach Build brochure here