Habitat Family and Friends, Cambodia
9 February - 16 February 2019
The speed of growth in Phnom Penh has brought increased urban poverty and pushed families into precarious living conditions. Your team will be giving a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
In Cambodia, rural households account for nearly 90% of the country’s poor, with 85% of the population living in rural areas. Thousands have migrated to the urban areas, and this has had severe consequences for vulnerable poverty-line families who relocated to Phnom Penh.
Inadequate housing is common place in Cambodia. Evictions and forcible confiscation of land are one of Cambodia’s most pervasive human rights problems. The lack of land in urban areas has resulted in an increase in urban slums, especially in Phnom Penh.
Safe and decent housing provides security and stability, which is especially important for children. As part of Habitat Family and Friends, you will be working with vulnerable families and households to construct simple, affordable, disaster-resilient shelter and provide legal access to secure land. Our project also focuses on providing health, hygiene and livelihood training.
Saturday 9th February:
Meet your team in Phonm Penh and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 10th February:
Discover the local sights with your team
Monday 11th February:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 12th February – Thursday 14th February:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 15th February:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 16th February:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Fundraising Contribution: $1700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $600 – $800 twin share depending on accommodation, some meals and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 15th December 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 19th January 2019
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Cambodia
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
15 December 2018
Ready to sign up for an experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Habitat Family and Friends build brochure here