Disaster resilience build, Vietnam
25 August 2018 - 1st September 2018
Get your hands dirty working alongside local communities to provide strong homes in the Quang Nam province which is prone to devastating natural disasters.
Quang Nam is a poor province located in the central coastal region of Vietnam. The majority of people in the province rely on agricultural activities (rice, short-term crops, forestation, fish breeding and farming) for their livelihoods. Infrastructure in many localities of the province is very weak and housing, water and sanitation solutions are especially insufficient.
Due to its complicated topography, Quang Nam is often affected by storms, floods, droughts, whirlwinds and landslides; communes located in the coastal and highland areas suffer the most.
Whenever natural disasters hit in the province, houses, water and sanitation facilities and agricultural production are seriously damaged. Habitat for Humanity Vietnam’s project in Quang Nam continues to help build resilience to natural disasters and climate change for those living in Que Son District, while also providing resources necessary to improve water and sanitation-related household health.
Saturday 25th August 2018:
Meet your team in Da Nang and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 26th August 2018:
Discover the local sights with your team and travel to Quang Nam where you will be building for the week
Monday 27th August 2018:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 28th August – Thursday 30th August 2018:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 31st August 2018:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 1st September 2018:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
Minimum Donation Contribution: $1,700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $180 (registration fee is $160 for those under 18yrs (15 minimum))
- Build Week Costs: $600-800 based on twin share depending on accommodation, meals, transfers and domestic travel requirements – single rooms may incur additional costs
- Registration deadline: 3rd May 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 4th August 2018
- For visa application volunteers must hold a passport with at least 6 months from the build start date (validity until March 2019)
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Ready to sign up for an experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Disaster Resilience build brochure here.