Angkor Adventure, Cambodia
30 June - 7 July 2018
Siem Reap remains one of the three poorest provinces in Cambodia with approximately 30 percent of households living below the provincial poverty line. Your team will be giving a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
This project aims at improving the quality of life and health of rural residents in three districts of Siem Reap through housing, water and sanitation, community driven development, disaster risk reduction and response.
Target communities receive support through the provision of sanitation and water facilities, education and awareness raising on proper hygiene and sanitation practices, major and minor renovation of identified houses, and technical skills training to complement the housing renovations.
Cambodia has the lowest rural sanitation coverage in the region, and sustainable water access remains a key challenge, with high rates of inoperable water facilities. Siem Reap Province covers an area of approximately 12,000sq km and located 300km to the northwest of Phnom Penh.
Siem Reap remains one of the three poorest provinces in Cambodia with approximately 30 percent of households living below the provincial poverty line.
Families living in thatched houses are compelled to change the dried grass and palm leaves every two years due to its deteriorating quality which makes them more susceptible to illness and disease spread through overcrowding and lack of sanitation. All of these risks can easily destabilise people, disrupt treatment and reverse health gains.
Saturday 30th June:
Meet your team in Siem Reap and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Sunday 1st July:
Discover the local sights with your team
Monday 2nd July:
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety orientation for the first day of building
Tuesday 3rd July – Thursday 5th July:
Full days of building with your teammates
Friday 6th July:
Final day of building, hand over ceremony and dedication of the new home to our partner family
Saturday 7th July:
Depart for home or further adventures – many of our volunteers combine a build with travel to other overseas destinations
Click here for an information pack about the build that includes the project info, detailed itinerary, costs and stories from past volunteers – take some time to read about the build and see how you can help change the lives of families in need
- Minimum Fundraising Contribution: $1000*/$1700 (All donations over $2 are tax deductible and goes towards the home you are building and impacts more families through a wider program in the Asia Pacific.)
- Registration Fee: $180 ($160 for volunteers who are under 18)
- Build Week Costs: $850 – $950 twin share depending on accommodation, some meals and domestic travel requirements
- Registration deadline: 5th May 2018
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 9th June 2018
*You must be a full time student.
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Nepal
- Personal fundraising webpage and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Flights (Habitat can help advise the best flights for you through our partners at Flight Centre’s Travel Club)
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Registration closes on
05 May 2018
Ready to sign up for an experience of a life time?
A Global Village trip is a truly rewarding experience. Get your hands dirty on the building site, interact with the families whose houses you are helping to construct, experience the country like an insider and do it all alongside a team of like-minded volunteers. No experience is required, sign up today!
Download the Angkor Adventure build brochure here