Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka
26th October - 2nd November 2019
Many people across Sri Lanka are living in inadequate housing due to civil conflict, which ended in 2009. Your team will provide a family in need hope for the future by empowering them with a safe and decent home.
There are hundreds of families that lack the capacity to build a safe and decent house on their own, often living in cramped and unsafe houses that lack proper sanitation facilities.
Day 1: Saturday
Meet your team and get to know each other over a welcome dinner
Day 2: Sunday
Take in the local sights with your team. A cultural experience will be included as part of your trip.
Day 3: Monday
Meet your partner family and the Habitat build staff who will complete your safety briefing. After a safety briefing, get started on your first day of building!
Day 4 – 6: Tuesday – Thursday
Full days of building with your teammates and alongside your partner families.
Day 7: Friday
Final day of building, handover ceremony and dedication of the new home to your partner family. Today is usually an emotional day – bring the tissues!
Day 8: Saturday
Depart for home or further adventures. Many volunteers choose to celebrate their contribution by exploring more of India’s beauty and culture.
- Minimum Fundraising Contribution: $1,700
- Deposit: $200
- Build Week Costs: $700- $900 per person, twin share. This amount will be confirmed closer to the build date.
- Registration deadline: 26th August 2019
- Fundraising contribution deadline: 26th September 2019
What’s included in your build week costs:
- Twin share accommodation (single accommodation available at an additional cost)
- All meals Monday – Friday
- Bottled water on the build site
- Return airport transfers
- Transport to and from site each day
- Local sightseeing activities as per itinerary
- Support from your team leader, Habitat for Humanity Australia and Habitat for Humanity Sri Lanka
- Personal fundraising web-page and access to fundraising resources
- Local host coordinator and translator
- Welcome orientation
- All necessary building materials and safety equipment
- Dedication and home handover ceremony with partner family
- 24 hour in-country support
- Insurance while on the build site
- Travel Insurance
Need more info?
Please leave your contact details and we will send you an information pack on this volunteer experience.
Experience of a lifetime
James Grant has been a dedicated volunteer with Habitat for Humanity Australia for a number of years. He has been on builds in the Philippines and Indonesia to assist in disaster recovery and poverty alleviation, and in Fiji and most recently Cambodia to help families become more disaster resilient. He is committed to changing the lives of those less fortunate in the Asia Pacific region and beyond.
Join Jimmy on an experience of a lifetime in Sri Lanka to help families recover from the destruction caused by years of civil conflict through the construction of a home.
Please contact us for more information about this project.