|Position Title||Project Manager|
|Position Area||Australian Programs|
Habitat for Humanity is a global not-for-profit provider of housing and housing-based solutions for low-income families in need. Habitat for Humanity (HFH) works in thousands of communities around the world and has built, rehabilitated and repaired over one million homes, helping more than 35 million people. Our vision is a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. We are an inclusive workplace and believe that people should be employed on the basis of merit.
More about our work:
As the Project Manager – Australian Programs you will manage projects in our building program alongside the Head of Australian Programs. HFH (Australia) is building a portfolio of projects that will span the affordable housing and social housing sectors. Currently HFHA have a growing relevance in building expertise in the management of domestic violence (DV) accommodation sectors. Currently we are developing one such shelter in western Sydney in partnership with DV West. This project is currently under construction.
We have lodged a tender in conjunction with DV West for funding to build another DV shelter in Penrith. And in Tamworth, we own five land parcels that in time we seek to develop five houses for occupation by families identified by local community housing provider, Homes North. And HFHA is in the process of registering to become a Community Housing Provider as a first step to expand its reach in affordable housing. Our aim is to develop a sizeable portfolio of affordable houses for use by low to middle income families. The role will be based in Sydney with some travel required to our various sites. HFHA offers flexible working arrangements (remote/office hybrid model) and would consider the role being part time for the right candidate.
You will help grow the Australian Program with its aim to be recognised as one of the most effective Australian affordable housing providers. The Australian Program offers growth and challenge – an ability to make a difference in the lives of so many Australian women and families, who, without HFHA intervention, would not have a safe and secure shelter in which to live.
The Project Manager – Australian Programs will perform a range of functions including –
- Implement the project brief received from the Head of Australian Programs
- Identify and establish project parameters (including budget) and project program
- Appoint and lead project design consultants to design the built-form solution
- Manage the projects approval process – both internally with HFHA and externally with all consent Authorities
- Tender, negotiate with and then appoint the project builder
- Administer the contract to ensure the builder performs its contractual obligations including the negotiation of and appropriate approval of all variations and subsequent contract sum adjustment
- Work with donors and ‘pro-bono’ materials suppliers to inject same into the building project where practicable and ensure that such provisions are negotiated into the building contract
- Be the primary safety leader – establish the safety protocol for the site in the attempt to eliminate lost time injuries and all potential serious harm incidences
- Conduct regular project inspections and meetings to maintain the construction program and standards of construction on site
- Manage the performance of the project budget and builder in line with all prevailing contract documents
- Establish the appropriate project governance structure with the project team
- Establish approved project budget management template and maintain this as one of the effective reporting tools. Identified planned project cash flow table and maintain in order to advise HFHA of all project payment drawdowns
- Assess and approve progress payment claims from the design team and the appointed builder
- Provide regular project updates to the Head of Australian Building Programs
- Supervise the creation of the building defects list and the rectification schedule for all identified building defects
- All other project-related requirements that are identified in the course of the project.
HFHA seek an experienced project manager, ideally with experience in residential construction. The ideal person will want to ‘do good’ for others and value the purpose that working for an organisation like HFHA provides. The ideal candidate will value communication, being a true team member and sharing knowledge and suggesting improvements where they are possible. The person envisaged will place a high value on the outcome of the project he/she manages.
In addition desirable attributes of the ideal candidate will include:
- Strong work ethic
- Experience with and relevant projects and/or volunteering experience
- Preparedness to travel overseas and domestically for projects as required
- Proven critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
- High level organisational and administrative skills – including word processing, excel spreadsheet, project management software and database software experience
- A strong customer service ethic and skillset
- A minimum 10 years’ experience in property/ construction project management
- Proven project management track record
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- The successful applicant will need to provide evidence of a clear criminal history and adhere to HFH’s Code of Conduct, policies and procedures including the Child Protection Policy.
Habitat’s Statement of Expectations surrounding Safeguarding
Habitat for Humanity requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse; safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children); and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
How to apply: For any questions or to apply for the position send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with subject line: Project Manager.